Bob Hawke will address the Innovating with Asia 2014 conference in Perth on May 20–21. The former prime minister will deliver the prestigious Ralph Slatyer Address on Science and Society at 4pm on Tuesday, May 20.
The conference, organised by the Cooperative Research Centres Association, will tackle big issues such as the future of Australian manufacturing in the Asian Century and ways we can exploit our technological edge in the minerals and energy sectors now that the resources boom has peaked.
Keynote speakers include Peggy Liu, chair of the Joint US-China Collaboration on Clean Energy, M. Madani Bin Sahari, chief executive officer of the Malaysia Automotive Institute, and innovation policy expert Thomas Barlow.
Some of Australia’s top early career researchers will release their latest findings, including:
- a study probing the role of bacteria in poultry disease in the hunt for probiotics for poultry
- a new, patented, technique to weld advanced composite materials used in aerospace
- ways to keep lamb meat red, and therefore marketable, for longer
- 3D printing to make systems to deliver anti-inflammatory drugs for cochlear implants
- evaluation of payoffs from a boost to energy efficiency in a gold and copper mine.
The Cooperative Research Centres Association is the peak body covering organisations formed under a federal government scheme to drive public/private sector research.
What Innovating with Asia 2014 conference
When Tuesday, 20 May 2014 and Wednesday, 21 May 2014
Where Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre
Information: Jordan Gardner, CRC Association, Phone 02 6273 1124
Visit the conference website at http://conference.crca.asn.au